I am sending this blog, at the request of several of my clients; as these questions and perspectives have become a mainstay of our coaching engagements, and I hope may help others, as well.
As we start a new year, each of us have the opportunity to ‘start over’. I don’t know about you, but 2017 was brutal in many ways. I grew in unexpected ways. I embraced Faith and Friends with unfathomable appreciation. I learned how strong, by the Grace and Support of God, we can be – when there is no other choice. And I hugged my life, family, and experiences with love and gratitude.
Our years are made up of 365 days….no more no less. I like to start a new year by recapping the prior year – what worked/what didn’t work relative to my life, my goals, and my intentions. Our challenges, regardless how painful, are all learning experiences. I am sharing the classic questions we use to help ‘give pause’ and stimulate our thoughts on this past year:
o How did I spend my time in 2017?
o What were my greatest accomplishments?
o What (and who) were my greatest disappointments?
o How did these experiences change me?
o How do I want to be different in January 2018 than in January 2017?
o What am I tolerating? Why? What steps can I take to make a change?
o What am I trying to force to happen? What would happen if I just ‘let go’?!
Now What?! A few questions to help us plan for 2018 – and then we can take each day – one by one:
- What will be my primary focus in 2018?
- What do I really want? What is still holding me back?
- What do I want to contribute to the world?
- How will I hold myself accountable?
- What is working for me? How can I have ‘more of that’?!!
- What kind of partners do I want in 2018?
- What may need to change? What are the first steps I need to take to make that change?
- At the end of 2018, where would I like to find myself? How do I get there?
- What is my intention for myself in 2018?
We own our lives. No one else does. So, what we decide to focus upon – in thought, word, and deed – will be what we create. So, print out this article, spend time re-learning about yourself, and determine what you want to manifest in your life and this next year…..and realize EACH day is the opportunity to start again! Let’s make this year the best year yet…..and live each day – JUST FOR TODAY……after all….that is all we really have.